FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Where does UMTV produce its programming?
UMTV is owned and operated by the University of Miami School of Communication. Its studios are on the ground floor of the Frances L. Wolfson building. University of Miami students produce the majority of the programming.
Who is in charge?
UMTV is a joint production of students and faculty of the University of Miami School of Communication. UMTV has an executive board (E-board) made up of a dedicated set of producers, student leaders and the Director of Broadcast Operations. University of Miami students also make up UMTV’s volunteer crew and on-air talent.
How do I start a new program?
Students who have a new programming idea must meet the following requirements:
- Complete at least one semester as a volunteer for UMTV.
- Recruit a member of the broadcast faculty to serve as an advisor for the pilot and the series, if approved.
- Submit a written proposal explaining the concept of the program, the basic format, production elements and requirements.
- Recruit staff personnel and studio/field crew. Confirm studio and technical support availability.
- Present the proposal to the UMTV Executive Board.
If the proposal is approved, the student will produce a pilot program. If the pilot is approved by the Executive Board, the program will become part of the UMTV programming line up.
Can I help promote UMTV?
Yes! Please help spread the word about UMTV around campus! From developing promotional campaigns to designing flyers, our Promotions committee handles all advertising of the station and programs.
How do I get involved?
Any full-time student may volunteer to work for UMTV.
Producers, writers, directors and on-air talent are needed along with both studio and field production crews. UMTV also offers experience in marketing, development and sales with our Promotions, Fundraising and Underwriting committees.
No experience is necessary, but students must maintain a 2.5 GPA and should attend the initial meeting at the beginning of each semester.
Fill out a volunteer application to begin the process!